[OpenIndiana-discuss] smb/server not getting a socket - service fails

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 28 19:04:29 UTC 2014

Setup:
  Running oi -b 151_a8 as guest in a Vbox vm on win7 host. (Most
  recent Vbox)

I'm getting this error message from the smb/server on boot

From: /var/svc/log/network-smb-server:default.log

  [ Mar 28 13:27:06 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd start"). ]
  smbd: NetBIOS services started
  smbd: kernel bind error: Address already in use
  smbd: daemon initialization failed
  [ Mar 28 13:27:06 Method "start" exited with status 95. ]

Some kind of socket confusion I guess.

I set the server up quite a while back, but then the os sat unused for
several months... I don't recall having this problem or maybe just
didn't notice it, but I would have been using it if the server ran
more than a few hours.

Anyway, it appears there were similar incidences in Nov and Dec but
worked in between, and then the OS started growing cobwebs about the
end of Dec, until just a couple of weeks ago.

The googling I've done turned up some similar log messages but back
2009 and did not appear to apply to me.

Is this something that has a known cure... or can anyone offer any
suggestions about it.

Any suggestions or a brief general outline of how I might go about
tracking this down?