[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB boot Sometimes?

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Sat Mar 29 13:47:12 UTC 2014

> From: Udo Grabowski (IMK) [mailto:udo.grabowski at kit.edu]

So - Thank you, Udo and Wim.

I tried several USB2 thumb drives and USB2 hard drives, and they all worked.  I only have one USB3 device, and it doesn't work, even though the machine itself has USB2 and therefore USB3 isn't being used.  So I think most likely the correct explanation is as Udo said.  Most likely the USB3 thumb drive itself doesn't do good USB2 backward compatibility.  So anybody out there reading this -

Either get the fastest USB2 device you can find, or get an assortment of USB3 devices so you can hopefully find one that's backward compatible USB2.

The non-bootable USB3 devices I have which don't work:  Mushkin Atom  MKNUFDAM32GB