[OpenIndiana-discuss] Migrating to smaller root pool

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Mar 30 07:51:11 UTC 2014

30 марта 2014 г. 5:27:09 CEST, Reginald Beardsley <pulaskite at yahoo.com> пишет:
>I'm trying to migrate to a smaller root pool so I can put /export in a
>RAIDZ1 and use a 3 way mirror for the root pool.  So far I've been
>soundly thrashed.  I copied the rpool contents over to npool w/ "zfs
>send -R" and installed grub. When I boot the new disk, grub comes up
>with the menu, but then complains it can't find the filesystem.  I used
>a dedicated Solaris disk and a 100 GB s0 slice.
>
>This is an existing system that I don't want to rebuild, so the way I
>built my N40L won't work until I get the first bootable pool.
>
>Hints or suggestions?  This is very similar to doing a bare metal
>recovery, so I have a strong interest in figuring this out.
>
>Reg

I believe there may be a couple of things easy to miss:

1) did you bring over the non-default ("local") attributes of the zpool, including 'bootfs' and perhaps 'failmode'?

2) how is the 'npool' ultimately called and how is a bootfs referenced in the new copy of the grub menu (still 'rpool'?)
Note that to rename the rootpool you might use a live media and zpool import-export trick, with a renaming import.

3) is the rootfs and dataset hierarchy leading to it compressed in a way grub can't read (i.e. gzip)? I believe it only permits uncompressed and lz4...

HTH,
//Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android