[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding the "last" snapshot for a zfs volume

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Wed May 14 11:49:56 UTC 2014

On 14 May 2014 12:27, Discussion list for OpenIndiana <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> > From: Discussion list for OpenIndiana [mailto:openindiana-
> > discuss at openindiana.org]
> >
> > It seems that someone should bring up this issue on the zfs list.  All
> > of the proposed solutions have involved 'tail -1'.  This is a
> > non-scalable solution which does not work efficiently for any number
> > of snapshots.
>
> What's wrong with it?
>
> Works for me, and although it could be ever so slightly more convenient to
> have an option to "zfs" command, I don't see anything to gain.  Maybe 6
> characters less typing...
>
> "zfs list -r" scans the whole disk for snapshots, and can take time on a
disk that has "gone to sleep", or has a large number of snapshots ... it
just does.

as it happens when I talked on the zfs list, it is possible to quickly
search for a specific zfs snapshot, so therefore I can speed up the system
by positive discrimination, rather than negative.

zfs list -H pool/slice at snaphost and checking on the failures.

Jon