[OpenIndiana-discuss] "Discussion list for OpenIndiana"

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Wed May 14 23:36:13 UTC 2014

Looking at CookHeaders.py in 2.1.18-1, it appears that it rewrites "Joe User" <juser at yahoo.com>
as "Joe User" via Discussion list for OpenIndiana <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> and leaves From: alone if the domain does not implement p=reject.  That's obviously not what is being done.  Unfortunately, verifying this requires spinning up an MTA and a web server which is a lot of overhead.

The mail header suggests that we're using 2.1.14 with a local patch.  So it *might* be that just updating mailman to 2.1.18-1 would clear up most issues.  It would be very helpful if the list maintainer would comment.

Whether other mail providers follow yahoo depends on how successful the policy change is in reducing spam and spear phishing attacks.  When probably depends upon the speed with which the mailing list packages adapt to the change.

Lots of mailing lists have subscribers who barely know how to use a computer.  I doubt that those lists will tell their users to get another mail account.  The first article I read about the change was by someone who maintained a church mailing list.  He modified From: and blogged about the issue.  That takes a bit more expertise than "get another mail account".

Reg