[OpenIndiana-discuss] [developer] HBA recommended except LSI and ARECA

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Mon May 5 02:19:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 02:42:54AM -0700, Fred Liu wrote:

>               I haven’t got a sas  drive to test. But the price delta between sas and sata drive under the same capacity is not small like USD30 at all. ☹.

I'll counter nebulous griping with hard data:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Hitachi_HGST_Ultrastar_7K4000_HUS724030ALA640/0F14689/11841415/
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Hitachi_HGST_Ultrastar_7K4000_HUS724030ALS640/0B26886/11904874/

Same device, same vendor, same capacity, different interface.  SAS
premium, USD 23.  Buyers in bulk or with vendor relationships will pay
less.

SAS would be cheap at twice the price.  How much time have you wasted on
SATA already, especially when I already warned you explicitly that there
was a good chance SATA wouldn't work?  That's not to say you can't
possibly make it work, but it's going to take a significant effort to
figure out what's going wrong and fix it.  I can assure you that effort
will cost you far more than SAS disks.