[OpenIndiana-discuss] [smartos-discuss] Re: [developer] HBA recommended except LSI and ARECA

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Wed May 21 14:39:00 UTC 2014

On 05/21/2014 10:24 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Basically GPL is an anathema to any project that doesn't share their
> ideology that ALL software must be free.

I'd probably restate that is "... must be free in the same way."

> In many ways this is actually MORE restrictive than even proprietary
> code.

I don't think its *more* restrictive than closed/proprietary code, but
it is more restrictive than "do anything you want with it as long as you
give us credit" code (ala BSD/MIT/...)

This said, I've found this situation to be somewhat ironic.  Maddening
might be a better adjective though, when considering drivers.  Happily
many OEMs are building for the BSDs, so this conversion shouldn't be too
terrible.

To the specific case in point, we do try to work with a number of OEMs
to get their drivers updated and into the illumos kernel.  They can
choose to multiply license their own code (Areca does dual/multi
licensing, adaptec does not) or not.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO