[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail simple setup home lan

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Thu May 22 08:15:33 UTC 2014

On 22 May 2014 01:13, Discussion list for OpenIndiana <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Discussion list for OpenIndiana <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> writes:
>
> I think that about satisfies all my questions and I really am tickled
> with all the excellent input.
>
> I love this list.... thanks folks.

When I gave you a copy of (a cut down version of) my main.mc you'll notice
I use "procmail" as the local mail delivery agent, this is because I have
procmail configured to use "Maildir" format.

Maildir format stores all emails in the users home directory, rather than
in /var/mail ... it also stores the emails in separate files (a lot nicer
for rsync, or a lot of other forms of backup)

I then use "dovecot" as the IMAP server ... this then has a major reduction
on the memory usage over the standard IMAP server, and allows for folders
within folders and all sorts of extra goodness.

I can give you the procmailrc script I use if you'd like to do similarly.

Jon