[OpenIndiana-discuss] OS supported in brand zones

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 10:16:15 UTC 2014

quick answer, no.

long answer:

BrandZ allowed Linux kernels to be run in a "zone" on Solaris, but this
code has been removed from the kernel (it might be possible to put it back
from http://os-solaris.ru/en/patch-k-illumos-dlya-vosstanovleniya-lx-brand/
but since this link is a very long time old it probably won't work ... you
might be able to find someone who has kept it up to date if you ask the
question on the forums.

However Openindiana does have KVM built into it, and I use this to run my
"Linux Zones", and because it's a complete virtual machine it could be used
to run Debian/BSD/Windows quite happily.

If you want to run them as true KVM zones you'd probably need to look in
the direction of SmartOS though as you don't have to get too dirty running
on their system.

Jon