[OpenIndiana-discuss] OS supported in brand zones

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Nov 7 12:25:30 UTC 2014

7 ноября 2014 г. 10:03:31 CET, Joris FAGBEMIRO <fagbjoris at gmail.com> пишет:
>Hi.
>Please tell me if it is possible to install  FreeBSD or Debian in a
>brand
>zone?
>I have an architecture with pfsense and kali-linux,and i would know if
>can install them in a zone in openindiana.
>Thanks

Essentially you can run linux 2.4 environments. Kernel 2.6 emulation has limited support that few enthusiasts worked on though at least something booted up for me, and anything 3.x failed miserably.
The install-script for brands is geared toward specific releases, though slme things can be tweaked to add other distros. For my tests it was easier to install a minimal env in virtualbox, tar it and unpack as the zone-root and try to boot it.
Of relatively recent distros, debian6 seemed to work, and centos/rhel v3.
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android