[OpenIndiana-discuss] Newer OpenSSH causes probs for OI ssh

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Nov 27 01:13:34 UTC 2014

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> On 11/26/14 03:28 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I did not discover what ssh binary we are using... (is it a Solaris
>> ssh?) by using pkg tools, other than the pkg name and version:
>>    pkg://openindiana.org/network/ssh@0.5.11,5.11-0.151.1.9
>
> Either ssh -V or ssh -v should tell you it's running Sun_SSH, which is a
> fork of OpenSSH.  OI should be using the version from the illumos gate.

OK, thanks

ssh -V
Sun_SSH_1.5, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090819f

So, is there any reason to believe that `ALL' of the kex Algs offered
by our version (above) during handshake are considered `UNSAFE' and
are being rejected by a newer version of OpenSSH (6.7p1)?

The update manager on my version of OI (151_9) says there are no
updates available ... but that is probably because no updates are
being worked on...

Do I need to worry about my SunSSH having security problems?  Or
update it manually perhaps?