[OpenIndiana-discuss] use cases of Sun Studio-compiled C++ libraries on OI

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Nov 29 02:25:30 UTC 2014

If it’s plain C, it shouldn’t matter.  If it’s C++, the name mangling is different; look up the options for the Sun and GNU versions of nm respectively, use each version of nm with its demangling option, and whichever has sensible output corresponds to the compiler used.

Here’s an example, showing that the Sun compiler was used.  They hopefully used the same compiler for everything, since compiled C++ is incompatible between the two.  This was on Solaris 10, but the principle should hold.

it (Sun nm gives sensible results, therefore it was built with the Sun C++
compiler):

nm -C /opt/csw/bdb48/lib/libdb_cxx-4.8.so |grep MultipleRecnoDataBuilder
[2375]  |    185876|       168|FUNC |GLOB |0    |11     |bool DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder::append(unsigned,void*,unsigned)
                                                       [__1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilderGappend6MIpvI_b_]
[2811]  |    186044|       136|FUNC |GLOB |0    |11     |bool DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder::reserve(unsigned,void*&,unsigned)
                                                       [__1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilderHreserve6MIrpvI_b_]
[1677]  |    185832|        44|FUNC |GLOB |0    |11     |DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder::DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder(Dbt&)
                                                       [__1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder2t6MrnDDbt__v_]
[3549]  |    185832|        44|FUNC |GLOB |0    |11     |DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder::DbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder #Nvariant 1(Dbt&)
                                                       [__1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder2t5B6MrnDDbt__v_]

not it (didn’t succeed in demangling it):
gnm --demangle /opt/csw/bdb48/lib/libdb_cxx-4.8.so |grep MultipleRecnoDataBuilder
0002d5e8 T __1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder2t5B6MrnDDbt__v_
0002d5e8 T __1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilder2t6MrnDDbt__v_
0002d614 T __1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilderGappend6MIpvI_b_
0002d6bc T __1cbADbMultipleRecnoDataBuilderHreserve6MIrpvI_b_