[OpenIndiana-discuss] Process to install tape changer?

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 8 16:51:23 UTC 2014

On 10/ 7/14 07:42 PM, Kurt Richman wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library which I'd like to connect directly to our OpenIndiana server. The drives on the TL2000 are connected via SAS and show show up under /dev/rmt/, but I'm not sure how to add the Tape changer.
>

> Do I need to modify /kernel/drv/sgen.conf and add a changer? I tried to use add_drv as the sgen.conf file suggests, but sgen was already in use (even though everything is commented out in the sgen.conf file).

We have a Dell PowerVault on an old Sun Sparc (Solaris) connected via scsi.
The configuration might be similar in openindiana.

To recognize the changer, the following is defined in /kernel/drv/sgen.conf
matching the SCSI identifier of the changer.

device-type-config-list="changer";
inquiry-config-list=    "DELL",         "PV-124T";
name="sgen" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
name="sgen" class="scsi" target=1 lun=0;
name="sgen" class="scsi" target=2 lun=0;
name="sgen" class="scsi" target=3 lun=0;
(etc for all targets)

after a reconfiguration reboot, the device shows up in
/dev/scsi/changer/c?t?d?

and use the "mtx" program to control it.

# mtx -f /dev/scsi/changer/c0t5d1 status
   Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c0t5d1:1 Drives, 16 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
       Storage Element 1:Full
       Storage Element 2:Full
       Storage Element 3:Full