[OpenIndiana-discuss] is oi still a `safe' os

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 9 18:30:45 UTC 2014

Sorry if my subject line seems a bit thin.

I've been running oi and opensolaris before it, off and on for a few
yrs.  I like having a home lan zfs server.

I've seen comments in enough posts lately to cause me to worry about
using OI.  People say it is not kept up to date, that there is no
security updates and that in general there is no careful watchdog
group keeping an eye on it.

One or more of those may be wrong or overstated... the problem is I'm
not equipped skill wise to know.

I'd like to hear a few comments from old hands as to whether a
low-skilled admin is still safe using oi for home lan service.

Would I be better off with one of the other branches of solaris OS, or
even the free oracle version?