[OpenIndiana-discuss] Future of OI (was Bash Bug issue)

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 13:22:28 UTC 2014

You missed Tribblix and DilOS and a few others. Same as in cars, why are there so many of them that do
similar things ??? Choices.

Tribblix, XStreamOS-Desktop, and OI are the current leading 'desktop-oriented' distros. Those distros differ in
package management and default desktops (amongest other things). OpenSXCE was one of the leading
 desktop distros for the OpenSolaris community that supported both x86/x86-64 and legacy SPARC platforms.

As in cars, people working on similar things can contribute to each other as well as the big brother distro
(aka Solaris). Some distro projects are self funded or corporate sponsored (Nexenta, OmniOS, SmartOS, etc).

OI was more about the foundation of testing the latest Illumos kernel snapshots and porting the core upstream consolidations - while supporting a desktop UI experience. People wanted to support the 'core OS' consolidations and some of the legacy OpenSolaris core projects.

People then branch out and spread their wings to build/consult/enhance/embrace... hence, like a phoenix....

~K