[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Oct 13 17:48:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I have yet to find much that is helpful in creating a sendmail.mc.  I
> have not found a single example of a sendmail.mc in those docs.
>
> There are piles of information about how to test, what to do once you
> have a working sendmail.mc... but precious little about actually
> creating one.
>
> Apparently it was felt the reader should already know the nuts and
> bolts of creating sendmail.cf

Oracle documentation is almost the last place you would want to go to
learn about configuring sendmail.

The best information available may be found on your system in the file
/etc/mail/cf/README, which is provided by the sendmail package.

It is advised to have a good 'm4' program available since the .mc file
gets converted to a .cf file using m4.

For example:

   cd /etc/mail
   vi myconfig.mc
   m4 /usr/lib/mail/m4/cf.m4 myconfig.mc > sendmail.cf

You should save your original .mc file in a safe place (e.g. on
several systems) so that it does not get lost.  Putting it under
version control is a good idea.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn