[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox and newcomers

bentahyr at chez.com bentahyr at chez.com
Wed Oct 15 02:27:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm jumping in as the activity seems to increase after the bash bug lately and there's a will to organise things.

I see a lot of people requesting Firefox and other Mozilla softwares, just to to make sure everyone is aware that Mozilla still provides binaries for Solaris platforms :

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/latest-esr/contrib/

And they work very well with a9 (except the limited amount of plugins available especially the ad blockers).

Now as I've been using more and more a9 as a base I would like to know what is/would be the process to get involve in testing as you guys want to test things and to publish newer version of packages for various applications.

As I'm a console user, I have elinks, mutt and other standard tools like these in recent version recompiled with Sunstudio 12.3 as much as I can and I started to play with gcc 4.9.1 to some extend.

So yes... to sum up :
1 - If I want to provide some application in packaged form and submit them to "OI", how should I do that ?
2 - If I want to help for testing things without "moving to hipster" how should I do that ? (vbox, zones)

As soon as there are clear process for these 2 things, it should be easier for people to jump in and contribute.

Best regards.
Ben