[OpenIndiana-discuss] About moving to hipster

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 02:59:13 UTC 2014

On 10/12/14 09:29 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Is there a newer version of firefox in hipster compared oi 151_a9?
>> We have 24.8.1.
> Good, that's a lot closer to current (32.4) than the 10.0.12 running
> on OI 151_a9

ESR Mozilla releases are more important and thare is also working
contributed build in /contribute dir under releases on ftp.mozilla.org,
contributed by Oracle, that works (I put them into /opt/sfw/lib and ln
-s program it to /opt/sfw/bin)

I do not recommend installing from clean install from Hipster ISO for
any kind of semi-production or any use, but testing new freshly made
packages, because it also breaks /dev updating from Openindiana
and Hipster ISOs serves no purpose but designating snapshot in Hipster,
from lack of 'entire' releases.
Hipster also still does not have updatemanager and packagemanager GUI,
and that is needed to be able to update and show updates to user
automatically, as in /dev.

You actually need to include yourself in contribution on making sure
/dev is exactly updatable to Hipster, and vice versa, because otherwise
it could be never production ready, because Hipster is not meant to be
so in the first place.