[OpenIndiana-discuss] firefox 31.2.0esr broken?

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Oct 15 14:49:25 UTC 2014

On 15/10/2014 16:41, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>> It makes no sense, the Oracle firefox distributions are compiled
>> to work on THEIR modern Solaris 11.x versions, not the old 129a
>> Osol 2009.06.
>

> Who said anything about 129a? I am using 134 the last OpenSolaris
> release. Also, the name of the binary distribution contains the word

This is not an official release, but was build as an interim to
enable Osol users to upgrade to Solaris 11, and is also very old
and long dead.

> OpenSolaris not Solaris:
>
> firefox-31.2.0esr.en-US.opensolaris-i386.tar.bz2
> I think they have it there for some reason...

This naming is just misleading, they compile for
Solaris, not Opensolaris anymore (why should they?).

> I think they have it there for some reason... As about the compiler,
> it is the most stupid compiler I have ever used!
No question about that...

For flash, they even don't care about compatibility,
flash support was officially removed already in 11.1:

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/end-of-notices/eonsolaris11-392732.html>
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php