[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Oct 15 20:18:36 UTC 2014

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

> I don't really want to start tinkering until I can get a vm with oi
> guest setup for testing config  then figured I'd transfer a working
> config to my server.

I've got that running now and want to try to contribute something to
this discussion by describing what I see attempting to build a
sendmil.cf.

At the end I will attach sendmail.mc and acccess (munged)

What I'm seeing appears to be a bit of a show stopper to me.

However Gary Mills seems to have it working so most likely pilot error
here.

Edit senmail.mc  Adding a smarthost and few other things to the
default sendmail.mc

  cd /etc/mail/cf/cf

  root # cp mysendmail_1.mc sendmail.mc
  cp: overwrite ‘sendmail.mc’? y

  root # make sendmail.cf
  test ! -f sendmail.cf || /usr/bin/mv sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.prev
  /usr/ccs/bin/m4 ../m4/cf.m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

Now comes the bad part.   I've added a smarthost to sendmail.mc

(See full txt attached.  Inlining the one line here)

       define(`SMART_host', `mail.messagingengine.com')dnl

Theoretically the *.cf file is now generated.

See what happens with grep:

  root # grep messagingengine sendmail.mc
  define(`SMART_host', `mail.messagingengine.com')dnl

  HOST:oih /etc/mail/cf/cf
  root # grep messagingengine sendmail.cf
  (nada)

Somehow the smarthost has not made it into the sendmail.cf file?
What gives?

Of course when I try to sendmail... the config knows nothing about my
smarthost.

Or am I really missing lots of important stuff here?

Before going any further, I need to get the above situation resolved.

sendmail.mc