[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 16 00:49:38 UTC 2014

Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:00:26PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> > Somehow the smarthost has not made it into the sendmail.cf file?
>> > What gives?
>> >
>> > Of course when I try to sendmail... the config knows nothing about my
>> > smarthost.
>>
>> For the record, editing sendmail.cf by hand and adding the smarthost
>> at tha approprieate spot.... did allow sendmail to start working.
>>
>> However, this m4'ing stuff is supposed to do the job... so is it just
>> on my local setup where using the `make sendmail.cf' command doesn't
>> work?
>
> One thing I'd suspect is the order of statements in the .mc file.
> Putting them in the wrong order causes things like that to happen.
> The cf/README file should specify the order.

Good tip, thanks.  Let me see what you think.

Starting around line 129 in /etc/mail/cf/README

  These describe the mailers used at the default CS site.  The local
  mailer is always included automatically.  Beware: MAILER declarations
  should only be followed by LOCAL_* sections.  The general rules are
  that the order should be:

     VERSIONID
     OSTYPE
     DOMAIN
     FEATURE
     local macro definitions
     MAILER
     LOCAL_CONFIG
     LOCAL_RULE_*
     LOCAL_RULESETS

The line in sendmail.mc  about RELAY_MAILER_ARGS looks like it might
need to be under the actual smarthost definition.  But as I recall I
moved it on top from below at some point thinking it might help... but
lets find out....

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
divert(-1)

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`sendmail.mc (Sun)')
OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
dnl FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access.db')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl
define(`SMART_host', `mail.messagingengine.com')dnl
define(`confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST', `mailhost$?m.$m$.')dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
dnl FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/authinfo')dnl
dnl FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash /etc/mail/auth/smtp-auth')dnl

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl

MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl
MAILER(`procmail')dnl

LOCAL_NET_CONFIG

Nope... didn't make any difference.

grep messagingengine  sendmail.cf

Still didn't make the cut.

Do you see other issues of order that might be a problem?