[OpenIndiana-discuss] firefox 31.2.0esr broken?

Fred Kimball choope1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 14:08:17 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
Udo Grabowski (IMK)
To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana solarisx86 at yahoogroups.com
Oct 15 at 2:46 AM

There's no problem with firefox or thunderbird_31.2.0 on oi_151a9
(this mail is written on TB 31.2.0 downloaded with FF 31.2.0...).
As usual, it seems to be a problem of the pkg version. Install
the tarball in /usr/local/ and point /usr/bin/{firefox,thunderbird}
to that binary. Never install something onto an existing package
directory. This problem reappears every couple of weeks here.
The issue with saving files began with I think Firefox 26 on hipster - not oi_151a9. A 0 byte problem also occurred on Mac and there is a bug filed in Mozilla's bugzilla which was resolved. There was discussion in this list at that time.

What's weird is that some file types save properly. tar.bz2 and .jpg save okay. For PDF files viewed in Firefox, press the download icon in the PDF reader and then the Firefox download manager arrow and it will show the download failed. Click the reload icon at the right and the download completes successfully.

For other file types it's a bit of a nuisance to get the downloaded file where you want and with the filename you saved it as. First try reloading from the download manager. If it fails, navigate to Places > /tmp and you will see the icon for the type of file with a name of 8 random characters, the extension, followed by .part, e.g., cyvCt4bK.gz.part. Click on the icon and Cut or Copy. Then go to where you attempted to download the file and Paste. The icon for the file you originally downloaded will be present with filename you saved it as. Click on it and it will show that the file has 0 bytes. Press F2, Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C (copies the whole filename), delete the file, then click on the file you pasted (cyvCt4bK.gz.part), press F2, Ctrl + A, Ctrl + V and you have the downloaded file with the filename you originally saved it as.

--Fred Kimball