[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 16 22:31:30 UTC 2014

Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 04:18:18AM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> I remember copy/pasting that line from an older config and then
>> editing the IP part.... .. so I've managed to bring new life to what
>> has to have been a no-working config headache from the past.
>
> If you could document your final procedure in the OI wiki, I'd be
> satisfied.

I'll consider myself tasked.

However I've not yet got things working as needed.

I can send mail to fastmail.fm and at least 1 other domain but I
doubt it will stand up every where.

My mail arrives at remote host a return path of harry at oih.local.lan
which is completely fictitious and will fail  Ditto for the from line:

Harry at fastmail.fm  Which is not my address.

I think smtp server is taking my local uid harry, and combining it
with the righthand side of my authorization login at the smarthost
which is fastmail.fm

So again it creates a non-working email address in From: line.

First I tried `masquerading as' which also ended up with some none
working sender and From: lines with no good addresses. This time
combining my local UID and the Masqueraded domain.  `newsguy.com'

I've now tried to temper that with genericstable but not at all sure I
have things setup properly because the generics stuff appears to be
totally ignored.

Since I just pieced together a lengthy message for comp.mail.sendmail
trying to show all I've got setup.  I could post the lot here too.

It has all the parts posted in one place.  But of course I'd be
risking having my next boneheaded foolishness exposed.

I'm going to tinker with it a bit more before posting here.

If you care to look on comp.mail.sendmail it is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mail.sendmail/Mo7HBvnuKkM

Or:

If you are using a newsreader