[OpenIndiana-discuss] passwd command not update smbpasswd file in 151a9

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Sep 4 08:18:45 UTC 2014

Too early in the morning... smbpasswd file is Samba, but the
funtionality that the /etc/shadow file is used as password
basis with this entry is valid for Solaris own CIFS service, see
'man smbadm' under 'enable-user' .

For Samba (>3.0.0, if compiled with --with-pam --with-smb_passwd ),
you seemingly can use additional entries like this in /etc/pam.conf
(note the difference: pam_smbpass versus pam_smb_passwd)

other password required pam_smbpass.so use_authtok

samba password required pam_dhkeys.so.1
samba password requisite pam_authtok_get.so.1
samba password requisite pam_authtok_check.so.1
samba password required pam_authtok_store.so.1
samba password required pam_smbpass.so use_authtok
samba session required pam_unix_session.so.1

and in smb.conf file:

   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   security = user
   obey pam restrictions = yes

You need to set the password after reboot again since
the password hash format changes.

But I don't know if this really works.

Otherwise, you can write a small 'expect' script to
synchronize that users call when changing their password.

--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php