[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sparc

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:10:29 UTC 2014

On 09/ 6/14 08:03 PM, Dormition Skete (Hotmail) wrote:
> He used to have a mailing list that someone in the Netherlands set up for him, but it had very little traffic, and seems to have disappeared in recent months.
Hm, this doesn't seems right. If someone started hosting mailing list
for him, at least he could get someone else continue hosting for it.
Till now - I didn't know OpenSXCE mailing list existed.

> If you’re interested, write him at martin at martux.org
>
> It appears to be the only open source distro for sparc, and I have not seen anyone else having much interest in it, so if you want an open source distro for sparc, I think that is your only option.  And I’m not sure I should call this an “open source” project, but it is a free one.
Seems like people are saying enough with not involving. Open source is
more important then 'free project'.

Being OpenSource or not - is fundamental differentiator between
something being interesting and usefull and not. Free software Copyleft
licenses (CDDL, others) require derivative work to be open if distributed.
Not to mention need for code to be audited by wider audience before
wider use and the time needed for the code changes to be reviewed
independently, when released.
All this is not present in OpenSXCE and therefore, results are known.

I really like what Martin is doing, would very much like to help him,
and would like to see people to contribute to him back by all means,
only some need of openness in the projects is needed.

Connecting work only and directly to just financial aspect is not
straightforward, as it seems.
There is many more things to consider in path between working on
something and picking fruits of on'e work and most important is: what
(possibly paying) users would like to have.
I would like Source code open and Copyleft licensed - like the code that
is started with.