[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sparc

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:39:16 UTC 2014

On 09/ 6/14 09:59 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> So, there is no special interest in SPARC or desktop left. My
> impression is that people interested in it are getting fewer and fewer.
There IS interest in SPARC! OpenSXCE and Openindiana had releases and
some people interested on working on OI on SPARC. Problem was having
testing and development hardware
and Alasdair offered hosting SPARC machine in it's datacenter for free,
as long as someone pay for shipment from US (where there are cheap good
T2 based machines to find) to UK.

And there is interest in Desktop. As a fact there is several more
illumos distributions that include Desktop environment on illumos,
beside Openindiana, (XStreamOS, Tribblix, OpenSXCE, other?)
(And I would not even start describing how differentiating distributions
between
  'desktop' and 'server' is fruitless and not serving any use)

At least people talking about using their desktop on illumos distro,
should use some illumos distro and send bug reports and their usage case
problems and requirements, if any,
not just randomly popping up something sidewise from time to time, from
other platforms.