[OpenIndiana-discuss] AD Authentication and Samba 4 Active Directory

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Tue Sep 16 21:44:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have been attempting to follow this guide for setting up Active Directory
authentication on OpenIndiana using LDAP+Kerberos:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Kerberos+and+LDAP

Note that this connecting to a Samba 4 Active Directory server.

I am able to successfully view AD users via "getent passwd" and other tools that
utilize the nsswitch hooks, however AD users are unable to login to the
OpenIndiana server. I have read in a few places that the unixUserPassword field
may be used for this purpose, however the above guide specifically instructs you
to disable the "Password Sync" Windows component. Here's some more information
on this field:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sfu/archive/2010/01/08/using-unixuserpassword-attribute-properly.aspx

How does the LDAP+Kerberos method authenticate a user's password? What else can
I do to debug this setup? I do not see any authentication errors in /var/log.

Thanks,

Andrew Martin