[OpenIndiana-discuss] Who Has Java 8 For 32-Bit Solaris?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:03:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM, <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:

> Friends and Colleagues,
>
> I'm trying to get a Java8 SDK for my 32-bit Intel-based computer on
> which I am running Solaris 11 (more precisely, Schillix).  The
> download web page at
>

> http://oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
>
> does not have a release for 32-bit Solaris.  It has releases for
> 32-bit Linux and for 32-bit Windows, but, Oracle apparently believes
> that when Oracle stopped releasing Solaris for 32-bit computers, all
> of the existing 32-bit Solaris platforms magically vanished.  So how
> do I get a Java8 SDK?  Do I have to get the OpenJDK source and compile
> it?  Please don't tell me that I have to do that (or maybe it's worse
> than that -- does OpenJDK even exist for Java8?).

Yes, OpenJDK exists for Java 8.

To get a 32-bit version you'll have to build it yourself or get your distro
supplier to do so. I tried this myself (I ship the 64-bit version anyway)
and there's a 32-bit target, so I tried that. It starts out looking fine,
but
there's a coredump late on so the build fails.

--
-Peter Tribble