[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Apache OpenOffice package

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Fri Sep 26 07:59:16 UTC 2014

On 26/08/2014 12:23 a.m., Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Hello,
> nice blog entry :)
> I just wanted to comment that I have been using the OpenOffice 4.0.1
> package since the email was sent to the list and that I did not encounter
> any issue at all.
> The startup time is just around 7 seconds on a 3GHz i7 desktop with regular
> 7.2K SATA drive, which I do not think is that slow.

Hi Aurélien,

Your times are what I'd expect to see – very strange however, as I'm
seeing vastly and consistently longer launch times on my Xeon E3-1220
system – same speed HDD as yours, 8GB RAM, and a fairly bare-bones
Hipster install.

Launching OpenOffice via Gnome after having logged in and letting the
system sit in an idle state for several minutes, it takes 2m45 seconds
to see the OpenOffice splash screen. Rebooting the host system and
repeating the same, I again see a consistent 2m45s launch time.

Subsequent launches of OpenOffice after having run the application once
consistently come in at 45s, either launched from the Gnome menu, or
launched via double-clicking on an existing ODT file.

Any pointers as to what's going on here? Certainly during the wait for
the app there is no apparent heavy HDD activity at least.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Koelmeyer