[OpenIndiana-discuss] Java 8 for 32-bit Solaris -- followup

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:56:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:50 AM, <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Jonathan Adams <
> t12nslookup at gmail.com> would write on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:26:58 +0100:
>

> > I don't get why you're using an early release of jdk8, rather than
> > the latest patched version of 7 ...
> >
> > I know which one I would consider the safest if you're connecting to
> > the outside world.
> >

> I want to run an application that was written in Java8.  It uses Java8
> language features, and doesn't work on Java7.  I want to run it on my
> 32-bit Shillix system.  And I don't want to try to build OpenJDK,
> certainly not now, when I have enough to do replacing bash on every
> computer I own.  Therefore I am using the Java build that I found on
> https://jdk8.java.net/lambda and it seems to be working.  I welcome
> further comments from the members of this mailing list.

Actually building OpenJDK is pretty straightforward (once I had
remembered that my first openjdk build box was corrupted). So
I've dropped a copy of the 32-bit 8u20 build for illumos here:

http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/openjdk1.8.0_20-32bit.tar.gz

I've tried it on a few simple applications and it seems to work fine,
but I haven't done extensive testing.

--
-Peter Tribble