[OpenIndiana-discuss] Java 8 for 32-bit Solaris -- OpenJDK build

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Sep 30 11:46:58 UTC 2014

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> would write on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:56:35 +0100:

> Actually building OpenJDK is pretty straightforward (once I had
> remembered that my first openjdk build box was corrupted). So
> I've dropped a copy of the 32-bit 8u20 build for illumos here:
>
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/Solaris/openjdk1.8.0_20-32bit.tar.gz
>
> I've tried it on a few simple applications and it seems to work fine,
> but I haven't done extensive testing.

Many thanks.  It seems to be working.  It is, interestingly,
noticeably slower than the build that I obtained from
https://jdk8.java.net/lambda but it presumably is more secure,
because it postdates various security patches.  It is the version
that I shall be using (until I upgrade to a 64-bit machine, which
I suppose I shall do at some point, but hey, if it's not broke,
don't fix it).

	Jay F. Shachter
	6424 North Whipple Street
	Chicago IL  60645-4111
		(1-773)7613784   landline
		(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                http://m5.chicago.il.us
		jay at m5.chicago.il.us

	"But when she traced the killer's IP address ... it was in the 192.168/16 block!"