[OpenIndiana-discuss] Postfix

jay at m5.chicago.il.us jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Mon Apr 6 18:52:11 UTC 2015

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Dmitry Kozhinov <dima at desktopfay.com> would write on Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:37:00 +0500:

> As far as I know, Postfix resides in SFE repository. Before installing
> Postfix, add SFE repository (if not have added yet):
>
> pkg set-publisher -p http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe

Thank you for telling me this.  I would not otherwise have had any way
of knowing it.  Using your information, I did successfully install
postfix.  It did not work right away, because my postfix configuration
file refers to hash: databases, and the OpenIndiana postfix does not
support hash: databases.  The error message produced by postfix was
completely useless; it was "Temporary lookup failure" on the recipient
address, an error message that persisted even after the alias database
had been changed from a hash: database to a dbm: database.  I
eventually figured out that I had to rename all of the hash: databases
in my configuration file to dbm: databases, and I had to recreate all
of them with the makedbm program (I have not yet tested whether the
dir and .pag files that were thus created are recognized on the other
operating systems that share the hardware).  But that is to be
expected.  Open-source software never works correctly on
Solaris-derived systems the first time you install it.  It is working
now.  Thank you again for your help.

	Jay F. Shachter
	6424 North Whipple Street
	Chicago IL  60645-4111
		(1-773)7613784   landline
		(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                http://m5.chicago.il.us
		jay at m5.chicago.il.us

	"But when she traced the killer's IP address ... it was in the 192.168/16 block!"