[OpenIndiana-discuss] Martin Bochnig

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 15:05:32 UTC 2015

Martin seems to be caught in a trap of his own making.  I sent him money via Paypal to support his SPARC work even though I no longer use SPARC.  He never acknowledged it, much less thanked me.

The only issue I have with his not releasing the source is that if something happens to him, all his work will be lost.  I think that would be very sad as he is quite able and has done a lot of good work.  But the only way it can be protected from being lost is to publish it.  Even that is no guarantee.  I've seen millions of lines of code die over the years.  Much deserved its fate, but much didn't.

Martin seems not to understand that not publishing the source code makes him the only source of support.  There is no way that anyone can convince management to pay money to him to support his work because if anything happens to Martin the company will find itself with unsupportable systems.  If he published the source then it would be much easier to make a business case for paying him.  One moderate size corporate user of his work would be able to provide Martin with a very comfortable income.  But for that to happen he would have to publish the source code changes he's made so that the company had a fall back if something happened to Martin.

Unfortunately, not every human problem has a solution.  I hope Martin finds one, but I'm not optimistic after following the drama for several years.  I think there are quite a few people who respect Martin and would like to help, but he makes it hard to do.

Reg