[OpenIndiana-discuss] thunderbird 31.6.0 + /hipster-2015 = coredump

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:23:27 UTC 2015

On 04/16/15 04:51 PM, Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] wrote:
> On 04/16/15 03:44 PM, Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am using thunderbird from ftp.mozilla.org since long time ago
>> (always using latest tarball version).
>> Also, once/week I update my OpenIndidana /hipster to latest state.
>>
>> Now (but I cannot tell for sure when it has started) *if* I try to
>> save attachment, TB creates dump core and dies.
>> Funny enough, if I try to detach it (and cancel operation) it is
>> saved to disk.
>>
>> Does anyone has idea what could be reason?
>>
>> Thank you and regards.
>>
>> P.S:
>> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/31.6.0/contrib/solaris_tarball/thunderbird-31.6.0.en-US.opensolaris-i386.tar.bz2
>>

> Similar (but not same): firefox-31.6.0esr
> It dies on random things: save password or edit wiki page, etc...
>
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/31.6.0esr/contrib/solaris_tarball/firefox-31.6.0esr.en-US.opensolaris-i386.tar.bz2

Oracle-contributed FF 31.6 works fine on older Hipster from august 2014
(pre-20141010) and I suppose it would work in 20141010 and it even works
fine with flash in OI /dev 151a7 .

So problem with Flash is with some illumos changes after 151a7 and
hipster-2015 break compatibility with Opensolaris. (Maybe because
studio->gcc C++ libraries migration in hipster-2015 that breaks ABI)

I would suggest to stay with at least 20141010 where Intel graphics
drivers work, too.
Hipster is for testing (but locking when logging in with My old user
account got working in hipster 2015).

It is suggested that Hipster 20141010 coul be base for sort of
semi-stable OI branch but there is neede work to follow upgrades from OI
/dev 151a7 onward, where a8 and a9 introduced desktop breakages and
later Hipster package updates to be able to update from latest /dev to
newer and newer, etc.