[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos distro support model was Martin Bochnig

Ivar Janmaat ijanmaat at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 19 21:30:37 UTC 2015

Hello,

Your are funny guys. The idea was to get some discussion going about
what Illumos can and can not do to support new and existing distro's
with limited resources like OpenSXCE.
All the responses you sent are about personal things concerning Martin.
I now feel I have changed the subject to early. ;-)

I am a bit confused about the blocking thing:
Is Illumos also capable of blocking people from the OI lists? Or are
these two separate decisions? In my opinion it should be two separate
decisions since the distros should be able to make its own decisions.

OpenSXCE, OpenIndiana and XStreamOS Desktop have a focus on running
graphical desktops with common desktop applications. I would think
everybody would benefit if there is more cooperation between these
distros. So can Openindiana unblock Martin for the openindiana-discuss
list so we can at least have communication between OpenSXCE and Openindiana?

I believe that the consensus is that it will be very hard to create a
business model around one of these desktop focused Illumos distributions
at this time. But people are still working on these distro's and I hope
they will get more features and users in the future. The chance that
this will succeed is in my opinion bigger if we work together. So if
there is anything within my power I can do to achieve better cooperation
between the distro's I am glad to help.

Kind regards,

Ivar