[OpenIndiana-discuss] new box build OI 201503 - 4TB WD reds only 2TB?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Thu Apr 30 23:40:22 UTC 2015

G'day
I did a bit of googling but didn't find anything.

I have a new box I'm building, with 2 x 4TB WD Red HDD's to run as a 4TB
mirrored rpool.  I plan to build a very basic ZFS rpool box, that will
be an rsync destination for a bunch of other servers at a client site -
one big rpool is really all I want.  OI Hipster 201503 is the ISO I am
using.

Installing off the OI installer GUI ISO, my two 4TB drives are showing
up as 3.64TB drives (good!), but the installer GUI says I can only
format them to 2TB.  AFAIK the BIOS is not doing anything fancy and
these drives are brand new just out of the wrapper.  Gparted shows them
as 3.64TB too, and offers to format them in a number of formats,
including "sun".

Is that something there's a fix to? Or is it a limit?

Thanks

Carl