[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 8 22:23:41 UTC 2015

JK wrote:
> My first guess about such behaviour would be to replace the CMOS
> battery (usually CR2032 on PCs) and review the bios settings. I'd bet
> a bit that you have the rpool on sata disks, and the bios reverted
> back to its defaults (legacy ide or native sata) which is the opposite
> of what you'd installed illumos with.

Harry asks:
Is there some diffinitive way to determine if cmos battery is bad?

I mentioned in previous post, that the bios date was all zeros, and
that I was able to successfully set the date to where in repeated boot
attempts ... checking the bios date shows the date is current... would
that be true if battery was bad?

> If you have a bootable (distro) cdrom or usb stick with sufficiently
> recent OI, I suggest setting native sata in bios, and if it is not the
> variant your rpool expects - boot from this other media and do the
> usual trick of import-exporting the rpool.

Can you explain that 'trick' a little more?.. I boot with cdrom
media, import my old rpool... am I required to mount some portion of
the old os on temp mount point? if so,  Which part of old OS?
Does the importing bit follow any required mounting?

Any amount of detail you have time to supply about the process would
be very well appreciated.. googling has shown me some confusing
results.

> Note a cdrom would be
> preferential - lack of one essentially blocked my ability to set
> native sata on my laptop for years until recently - putting an usb
> stick caused enumeration of my disks to be different than when the
> rpool is alone during boot, so it broke boot anyway. Firefly saved my
> day for that, though ;)

Unless there has been a newer iso releases... (last time I checked
was several months ago) bld 151_a8 was the only ISO available.  Would
that old build be sufficient to mount/import etc?

The problem OS is 151_a9 with, I think, two updates.   It hasn't been
successfully booted now for a couple of months.