[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 23:43:56 UTC 2015

Harry,

First, apologies. I should have provided you that explicit GRUB boot line, then stuck with you! No matter, you're further along now...

I'm gonna use the Occam's Razor approach, and bet that you've blasted your SATA settings - and that fixing that will be your solution. AHCI and SATA passthrough seemed to do the trick on one of our old Gigabytes; again, settings and naming conventions will vary among mobos. Important in our case was to disable all on-board RAID, however; ZFS is giving us RAID, right?

Along the way: On a machine a couple of years(?) old, replacing the CMOS battery is a reasonable maintenance item, and simple to do. Just do it.

Impossible to tell - without knowing the BIOS on your machine - if the screenshot you provided represents a change.

Hint: Once you do arrive the solution, back up BIOS settings(!) Many BIOSes now have an on-board facility for doing so, in addition to a save-to-media option.

(This is consistent with advice here from both James and Jason...)

Lou Picciano