[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Mon Aug 10 05:46:23 UTC 2015

On 8/9/2015 1:58 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The bios clock appears to be maintaining correct time. Not sure if
> that means anything in terms of cmos battery.

if you have never had to change the time since the episode occurred then
that i negative indicator that you lost your bios settings to due the
battery. In other words, if you the clock is good now and you havent
reset it because the clock was off by years, then your cmos battery is
probably good and we can move on.

this is also a negative indicator that your bios settings were lost.
that doesnt mean someone didnt change them but if you are confident no
has changed them then you can probably rule out the sata configuration.

this primarly leaves actual media, electrical, or mechanical errors on
the disk or the controller. do you hear a "click click click" happening
in a consistent pattern?
>> also, remove any lines that look like this:
>> splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> foreground 343434
>> background F7FbFF
>>
> When I edit those out, inside grub, and then (b) boot on the kernel line, it
> fails immediately with an error message I foolishly did not record.
> But apparently temporaryily removing those lines thru grub appears to
> cause an immediate failure.

so this is the meat and potatoes of the problem. removing those lines
just tells grub not to change the background colors or put up a fancy
splash screen that can hide errors from you. please attempt to record
the error so we can take the problem from here.

thanks,
j.