[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard shutdown now no boot

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Aug 10 05:53:59 UTC 2015

9 августа 2015 г. 22:58:15 CEST, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> пишет:
>Jason Matthews <jason at broken.net> writes:
>
>> if you think the cmos battery is bad then the sata config might have
>> reverted to legacy mode or compatibility mode from ahci (or vice
>> versa). this might account seeing grub but not file systems. this
>> needs to be addressed before proceeding.
>
>First, thanks for you patience... I realize I am many skill levels
>below the usual posters here.
>
>From what I got out of the thread so far.  Even if I were to replace
>the cmos bat, there would still need to be settings changed in bios.
>I'm not at all sure what the settings are or how they would need
>changing.
>
>This image shows the bios screen I suspect contains the settings
>mentioned.  Can anyone tell if somekind of reversion has happened?
>
>  zeus.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
>
>I believe it as I set it a year or so ago but, of course, I have
>no record of it and the memory is pretty shakey.
>
>The possible settings at `Sata Emulation' are the one shown:
>  RAID+AHCI
>
>  and two more:
>
>  Separate IDE controller
>  Combinied IDE Controller
>
>The more I stare at that... I'm having some vague recollection
>regarding Separate IDE Controller.
>
>So Maybe it has reverted.
>
>However being  a horrible greenhorn and notorious bungler.  I'm a
>little reluctant to change the cmos battery, in case it hasn't
>reverted and changing the battery causes it to.
>
>I asked in two other posts if it is possible to determine if a cmos
>battery is bad buy some kind of routine test... can anyone speak to
>that?
>
>The bios clock appears to be maintaining correct time.  Not sure if
>that means anything in terms of cmos battery.
>
>> they kernel line you are looking for should look like this:
>> kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B
>$ZFS-BOOTFS,console=text -v
>
>OK, thanks.  Trying that line just does the same thing as posted
>followed with a spontaneous reboot.
>
>> also, remove any lines that look like this:
>> splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> foreground 343434
>> background F7FbFF
>>

>When I edit those out, inside grub, and then (b) boot on the kernel
>line, it
>fails immediately with an error message I foolishly did not record.
>But apparently temporaryily removing those lines thru grub appears to
>cause an immediate failure.

Regarding the CMOS battery - in general, it depends ;)
In the more common case, PCs use one to back up the RTC (real-time clock quartz) and may also have an accumulator or a capacitor onboard which charges when the machine is up and feeds the clock when it is recently down - i.e. for usual workday/offnight cycle not to strain the single-life battery one has to replace sometimes, and so it lasts for some 3-5 years and seeming to work after 10 is not unheard of either. Thus, it may take a few days of power-off (maybe even plugged out) for the BIOS and clock values to get lost. (I'm not sure how long was your initial hard powerdown, and so how it matches this design).

On the modern mobos there are usually sensors (fan speed, temperatures and voltages) into which you can look from bios if it has the interface or from some recovery Linux CD with lm-sensors. Illumos sensors support on x86 is IIRC sketchy at best so far. There you'd see the battery voltage, a healthy value is 2.9~3.3v IIRC.

You can also blunder into the PC with a voltage tester, but you'd have to take out the battery and may lose recent settings ;)

HTH, Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android