[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI roadmap (for production)

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Dec 4 15:01:18 UTC 2015

On 12/04/2015 17:16, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:
> Alexander Pyhalov, Thu Dec 3 12:39:35 UTC 2015:
>  > As for /dev, I think it's not a big secret that it's efficiently dead.
>
> Nikola M, Thu Dec 3 18:46:38 UTC 2015:
>  > It is not big secret that hipster is never planned for any kind of
> production
>
> What is the plan then?

Hi.
What do you want to know?
Currently we try to ride the car and tune it simultaneously (like
illumos-gate does). I mean, there are changes which will affect urgent
needs (e.g, security fixes) and some development (for example, major
version updates).
As for the current plan, there are several links
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Packaging+projects
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/TODO+list

As for my personal plans, I'd like to look at porting Mate now. As for
other tasks, I think we have to remove python2.6 from OI, but to make
this real, we have either:
1) officially state that /dev is dead and try to merge python2.7 changes
to illumos-gate,
2) invent some decision which would work on OI /dev and old python,
3) add python 2.7 and updated IPS to OI /dev and merge python2.7 changes
to illumos-gate.

 From these options only first one seems rather easy. When I looked at
(2) I didn't find elegant way to achieve this. As for third option, it
would be the best if there was some developer interested in this and
having some free time.

Also note that transition from legacy build systems to oi-userland is
far from being complete, and this boring task also needs some heads and
hands. SFW and JDS are mostly done, however there are still several
components, which were not moved from these consolidations. There's a
lot of work in XNV, and I even don't speak about g11n/inputmethod.
There's also a set of binary blobs in OI which should be replaced or
removed whenever possible.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,