[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI roadmap (for production)

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Dec 4 16:16:30 UTC 2015

On 12/04/2015 11:06 AM, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:
> Alexander, and Predrag,
>
> Thank you for the information. Currently I am using OI 151a9 for a
> web/ftp/mail server exposed to Internet. I am satisfied with the
> stability but concerned that this branch is not supported. I will
> consider hipster next time when I need to setup a server (it may be an
> intranet database server or something like a backend for an online
> service). I think that hipster is stable enough and hope that some
> future update will not beak everything :)
>
> Best regards,
> Dmitry.

I moved to OmniOS because I was unable to upgrade hipster at one point
as it broke the bge driver (in a very frustrating way as it looked like
all packets were being filtered).  I tried several times as new releases
were available without success.  Eventually decided to go to OmniOS as
it met my needs and had stable and LTS versions. I still think that
OpenIndiana via hipster is really good and would use it for a desktop or
laptop when applicable, but having an X-server wasn't a necessity for my
server setup.  OmniOS has a minimal footprint and can use pkgsrc
(supported by Joyent) to bring in lots of supported and latest packages
you may need.

Gary