[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is hipster 2015-10 32 bits compatible

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:02:51 UTC 2015

I am not sure whether the question is really 32 vs 64 bit... but given the
amount of memory that pkg claims for big updates I do not think having less
than 2GB RAM together with Gnome is reasonable (by today's standards) as
you are likely to exhaust resources fast.

I use 32bit Hipster for recovery from time to time, it is a bit sluggish.
IMHO given how slow and energy inefficient such x86 systems are, they are
not worth the trouble... unless you really want to play with them just for
fun.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM, cpforum <cpforum at orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed OI hipster 2015-10 on a 2004 32 bits Pentium IV
> 2,53Ghz 1,5 Gb RAM desktop
> with a SIS648/963 motherboard (it works 2 years ago with OI).
>
> Installation is OK, Boot is OK, Network is OK. Everything seems to be OK
> after opening a Gnome session.
> Firefox 24 works without problems, Gnome Terminal too, download files with
> Firefox, is ok an it's fast enough.
>
> When I launch : "pkg update" the system become unusable, Gome Terminal can
> no longer launch
> bash, and so on. The system is frozen an cannot be halted. Nothing is
> logged excepted one time no "more threads".
>
> Is hipster always 32 bits compatible ?

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings