[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSD as a dedicated swap device

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 11 19:45:34 UTC 2015

I have only occasional need to run problems larger than main memory (16 GB at present), so  I can't justify replacing all the DRAM for an infrequent need.  The drop in SSD prices has me contemplating adding a 128 GB SSD as a swap device.  The SSD latency and IOPS specs look as if they might be a useful compromise.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  The sort of jobs I'm interested in are batch processes that take several hours, not interactive tasks.

At present rpool is a ZFS 3 way mirror.  It's become a bit unclear to me if it is still possible to control the swap device independently of other parts of the system contained in rpool.  Back in SunOS 4.x days I ran with a pair of swap partitions spread across two disks which got me twice the performance on large array operations.

Reg