[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSD as a dedicated swap device

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Sat Dec 12 00:47:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If the swap partition ends up being on ZFS, it'll garner the additional
> benefit of being able to be periodically scrubbed to check for degradation
> of the SSD (these only accommodate a finite number of write cycles, but
> most modern ones have write leveling to distribute the exercise across the
> whole device).

Yes, and since  a swap device is usually never even close to full, the
write leveling should work quite well.

Even though I size RAM to avoid swapping, I usually configure some swap
space.  In the event of a memory leak or unexpectedly large process it's
usually better to have a server (or desktop)  that becomes sluggish rather
than one that crashes. Admittedly, with something like a busy web server
the two can easily end up being almost the same, as it falls ever farther
behind in processing requests.  I don't configure 2x the RAM size anymore,
though. ;)

--
D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics