[OpenIndiana-discuss] ACL problem

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Sun Dec 13 14:15:45 UTC 2015

I think part of my problem may have been the "inherit_only" flag which
is described as, "Inherit the ACL from the parent directory but applies
only to newly created files or subdirectories and not the directory
itself. This flag requires the file_inherit flag, the dir_inherit flag
or both to indicate what to inherit"

...but the moment I applied that to a directory, it immediately took the
permissions from the parent directory of the parent, whereas I was only
expecting it to apply to other files and sub-directories that were
created below it, later on.

I might be making progress in my understanding of where I'm going wrong,
but it is only one step forward.