[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Dec 17 08:44:52 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 10:33, cpforum wrote:
> pkg update -nv give the list of updated package. The problem is that most of them are just recompiled without changing code.
>
> For example the following package is just recompiled
>
> system/network
> 0.5.11-2015.0.2.15412 -> 0.5.11-2015.0.2.15420
>
> The last number 15412 goes to 15420 => the package is just recompiled (and they are every day).
> If 0.2 changed to 0.3 I think the code changed.
>
>   The purpose of the script is to compare version without suffix.
>
> If the version number without suffix differs the script display the package (same package is not displayed).
> So you know exactly what packages have changed since last pkg update.

Hi.
As Nikola has already stated, it's not true. For illumos-gate to know
what's changed, you'll have to look into sources. For our packages when
every part of package version (and not timestamp) is changed, the
package needs to be updated. It can be just recompiled or republished,
but this can be done for the reason - for example, to rebuild against
new libraries, to modify file permissions and so on. To know for sure
that you DON'T need this update, you have to examine source code. And
usually you DO want to update package.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,