[OpenIndiana-discuss] The mailing list is dead

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:25:35 UTC 2015

On 17 December 2015 at 09:43, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/16/15 12:56 AM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>

>> We use a combination of sendmail, procmail, MailScanner, and dovecot at my
>> work, and it works a charm on multiple devices (significantly better IMAP
>> with dovecot than any other we have tried)
>>
>> The greatest issue with our current setup is not the clients but sending
>> mail to our customers and suppliers, especially since August last year.
>> Microsoft updated something and we have severe trouble sending _some_
>> messages to any server running exchange, even with SPF and DKIM running
>> successfully.  Mostly this is down to badly configured exchange servers,
>> but the blame always comes back to us.
>>
> So maybe this topic could be renamed "proprietary software companies
> against e-mail standards",
> pushing customers to the cloud where they could be slaves.

that would always be a possibility, are you advocating the change?

As for me, and the bit of the company I work with, we won't be moving the
corporate email to gmail.

I do use gmail it for oi-discuss because it cleans up all the
top-posting/bottom-posting/inline so that it only shows the relevant
changes, it's a very fast email system and works on multiple computers.
The information in this list is freely available, and google will already
be reading it from several other sources.

as it happens gmail does follow almost all of the email standards out
there, with regards to sending/receiving email, they have a "postmaster"
(that's inbox isn't full or bouncing) they accept all email and (even if
they believe that it is spam) deliver it to the customer, their web mail is
about the best out there ...

With my data-protection head on, I cannot have any client related data
hosted in the US, as I cannot protect the data at any time.  But if the
alternative is to have everything going through an ISP that has servers in
the US, or relies on using outlook.com/exchange servers then I would be as
well off signing up the whole lot to them in a heatbeat.

The whole subject of who uses what is real bike-shedding, almost to the
point of saying that "my mum is better than your mum".  It really is a
horses for courses issue.

Jon

PS. just as an aside, if you are using dovecot for your IMAP, a good
webmail system is roundcube, and a good IMAP proxy (from external to
internal) is "perdition"