[OpenIndiana-discuss] Network card "Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V" support (OI, Hipster)

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 28 16:29:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have PC with "Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V" onboard network
> card and it is not recognized by OI (Hipster) installation...
>
> When looking at this list: http://illumos.org/hcl/ it is true - no such
> card there
>
> But, on my (other PC installed OI Hipster) in /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids

This does not mean anything about being supported....

> I can see it:
>
>          15b8  Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
>
> and also previous "models" (found on HCL listed above):
>
>          15a1  Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
>          15a3  Ethernet Connection (3) I218-V

They are in /etc/driver_aliases associated to another
vendor 8086 (Intel ?)

> Is it possible to get (somehow) this card (reported by installation
> driver compatibility program as pci1849,15b8) supported?

If you are optimistic enough you can try :

update_drv -a -i pci1849,15b8 e1000g

This will add your interface as an alias for e1000g
in /etc/driver_aliases. You will probably have to
reboot to have it initialized.

> I guess, it might work?

It might, if your interface is similar enough to e1000g
(also try other network interface).
Otherwise, ...