[OpenIndiana-discuss] SATA Expansion cards

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 00:02:13 UTC 2015

Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I need to build a new home server, but I need to get all 8 drives
> internal. Will Illumos/OpenIndiana support the Vantec UGT-ST310R SATA
> card?

This is based on Sil3114 SATA controller chip.
It might work if you reflash with the non-RAID firmware (which has to be
done on Windows) since that chip makes the drives look like ATA drives
to the OS, and the 3112 (2-drive version) was supported in Solaris in
early days of SATA. Since this controller often corrupted data, you
should never use it for anything other than a redundant ZFS
configuration, on which you often run scrubs. ;-)

Seriously, keep well away from it. It was for operating systems which
didn't know what SATA drives were, hence presenting them as ATA drives.

> If not, will it support the Asus PIKE Technology 1064E card? I am
> trying to find something that can just present the extra drives as
> SATA drives to use ZFS.

I don't know that one, but it's a hardware RAID card - you want JBOD
controller, not RAID controller.

--
Andrew